Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Wild Rice with Apples

There's something about wild rice that makes me feel like I am eating something really healthy. Oh wait, I am. It's even better when it tastes as good as this rice does. I used a rice blend instead of just wild rice. I think I am going to make this for the next vegan party I attend.



Wild Rice with Apples
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
2 cups chopped Pink Lady apple
1 cup chopped leek
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 cup apple cider
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
2 cups uncooked wild rice
1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add apple; sauté 7 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Remove from pan.

Reduce heat to medium. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in pan. Add leek; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring occasionally. Stir in broth, 2 cups water, cider, and thyme; bring to a boil. Stir in rice; reduce heat, and simmer 55 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Drain and discard excess liquid. Return rice mixture to pan over medium heat. Stir in apple, pecans, salt, and pepper; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

No comments:

Post a Comment