Monday, September 7, 2009

Terry's Ribs

Ribs. Some people love them. Chili's made a song about them. I've never been a fan. But the recipe that I got from my mother-in-law has changed my mind. I think it's because of the slow cooker. I don't like fatty meat, and I don't like eating meat off the bone. If you cook it long enough, the meat falls off the bone and the fat melts away. Not that these are at all healthy for ya, but they do taste good. I've made them in 4 hours, and I've made them in 7 to 8 hours. If you want the fall off the bone meat, cook them for 7 to 8 hours. Just be careful when you grill them, they really do fall off the bone.

I grew up on instant mashed potatoes, so I won't take it for granted that everyone knows how to make mashed potatoes. These mashed potatoes were the best ones I've ever made, so I am going to give you the "recipe."


Terry's Ribs
1 pack baby back ribs
Dry Rub
8 T brown sugar
3 tsp salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 thyme
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Sauce
1 cup orange juice
1 bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce (or your favorite)
Feel free to guess on the measurements, I did (except the brown sugar). Cut meat to fit in your slow cooker and rub with marinade. Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight. Mix 1 cup orange juice with 1 bottle of barbecue sauce and cover ribs in slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 to 8 hours. Grill to add char, about 10 minutes.

Mashed Potatoes
Russet potatoes
Butter
Milk
Salt
Pepper
Peel and quarter potatoes. I think it's better to use larger pieces. Boil for 30 minutes or until falls away from knife when stabbed. Drain potatoes, reserving some of the hot water to pour into the milk to warm it up. Return potatoes to pan and add butter and warmed milk. Mash with masher and add salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment