Sunday, October 25, 2009

Skeptical Salad (Winter Version)

My sister dubbed this salad "Skeptical Salad" because she was skeptical about it tasting good. Now she makes it all the time. I can't remember what magazine I got it out of, but it is now a classic at my house. The original recipe uses sliced strawberries. I wanted an option for the winter when you can't get good strawberries. I chose pomegranates. They have the same sweet/tart balance as strawberries. I still prefer the original version, but the winter version is good too. For the glazed walnuts, Emerald makes really good ones. You can try the bulk bins (Sprouts has them) or even make them yourself. Make sure you use good lettuce-- Romaine or the fancy greens. Iceberg just doesn't work in this recipe. I often omit the green onions. They aren't bad. They add a bit of spice, but I think it is unecessary.



Skeptical Salad

Mixed greens
1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced OR 1 pomgranate (avrils only)
11 ounce can of mandarin orange segments
2/3 cup green onions, sliced (I rarely add this)
1 cup glazed walnuts

Toss all ingredients

Dressing
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup honey
2 T vegetable oil
2 tsp Dijon mustard

Mix all ingredients. Refrigerate until serving.

1 comment:

  1. Best salad ever. And I swear the pomegranate avrils were MY idea. Best dressing ever too. And agave nectar is a perfect replacement for the honey for vegans. I am so excited it is pomegranate season again.

    ReplyDelete