Sunday, October 18, 2009

Chocolate Ferrero Rocher Cake with Nutella Ganache

I saw this recipe while doing some recipe surfing one day and decided I had to try it. Well, I did. I have to say, my version of the cake should be named "disaster cake." I did some research and have figured out the probable culprit. Actually, there are 3 culprits. The recipe I found is based on  a recipe that is from the NY Times, but there are a couple of differences. I wish I had read the original recipe before I tried to make it.

First, in the adapted recipe the temperature was listed at 200 degrees Celsius. After converting this online, I got 392 degrees Fahrenheit. The original recipe says to bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. And too hot of an oven leads to cracks in your cake. I had a lot of cracks---it essentially cracked apart.

Second, this recipe calls for 4 "Singapore eggs." Now what the heck are these? After a little more digging, the person who changed the recipe says that she thinks that eggs in Singapore are smaller than the typical American egg. So she added another one. So I had one too many eggs.

Thirdly, she changed the oil that the original called for to butter on a 1:1 ratio. This is inaccurate since it will add a smaller amount to liquid--thus a drier cake.

Did I mention the ganache was too thin?

This is the first time that a cake I made has ever completely collapsed. Now I know why. Check out the pictures. It is officially a disaster cake. Now, the idea behind the cake is good. I may attempt it again. But I definitely have learned some lessons.

Chocolare Ferrero Rocher Cake with Nutella Ganache





3 comments: